Sunday 11 April 2010

Where to start? Introductions might be good...Hi, I'm Becks or Yorkshire Becks whichever you prefer :) & I'm rather new to this way of blogging. I used to write a blog every week on Yahoo 360 until the powers that be at Yahoo decided to do away with it which was a shame because the alternative isn't a patch on 360.
So forgive me if I start rambling lol, I'm prone to doing that sometimes. I'll start off on a subject & take a slight detour before returning to the original topic. I am now at an age where I can excuse myself as having a pre-senior moment, another few years and they will be full-blown senior moments lol.
My future blogs could be on various subjects ranging from my interests e.g. crochet, knitting toys, gardening to family life & occasionally I might throw in something that makes my blood boil.
As for today's attempt I'll just throw in a few things about me and my family to get started. I've been married for 21yrs to Mike who is 7 years my junior. He used to be a strapping 6-footer but nowadays he's lucky if he measures 5ft.4ins due to a condition he suffers from called Ankylosing Spondylitis which is basically an arthritic condition that affects the spine and neck & causes terrible deformities. Both men & women can develop A.S. but the deformities seem to be more severe in men than in women. Mike's not been able to lift his head up properly for the past 2 years, his chin is on his chest most of the time although he can lift his head slightly, it causes immense pain for him to do so. He was always a very active man & enjoyed gardening, D.I.Y., & driving. All of these activities are out of bounds for him now but having to give up driving has been the one thing to hit him the hardest. He passed his driving test, 1st time, 16yrs ago & in all that time he never got a speeding ticket or any points on his license for any misdemeanors.
He was diagnosed in 1989 with arthritis in his spine but due to the A.S. going so long without being diagnosed properly he also developed Osteoporosis.
On February 10th this year, a date we shall never forget, he had a (little) heart attack. Scary stuff. After 4 days in hospital plus a couple of stents inserted into his artery we got him back home again. 2 mths down the line he's a lot stronger than he was at the beginning but still not back to his old self. He is also my registered Carer. I have Rheumatoid & Osteo Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Asthma & I also have borderline Multiple Sclerosis. The latter comes on occasionally, rears it's ugly head for a couple of days to a week & then disappears again for months at a time hence the docs saying I'm borderline.
Please don't be put off reading my blogs with the above catalogue of medical conditions. I'm not one for doom & gloom, or an oh-woe-is-me sort of person and neither is Mike. We like a lot of humour in our lives and often poke fun at ourselves and our limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment